Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Tuesdays at Tenjune...

The week before last I was invited to go out to Tenjune on a Tuesday in the Meatpacking District. The Meatpacking District is a neighborhood in Manhattan, according to Wikipedia it runs West 14th South to Gansevoort St. This was the first time I had been to this area and was pleasantly surprised. First of all it was a beautiful night, the weather was perfect and all was well until I got into the actual neighborhood and saw how packed the streets were! Cabs were flying through, town cars and those fancy Mercedes trucks that the "famous" people get driven around in were blocking streets!Lol I was like, "damn, all of this on a Tues"! The area is full of old meatpacking buildings that now house beautiful boutiques, upscale stores, expensive spas, hotels, clubs etc. I made a mental note of a few restaurants I plan on trying in the near future! It was just what I like to call a "New York Minute" the only down fall was that I decided to drive instead of taking the train. I met up with Sam and her beau at the front door. No waiting in line, no cover charge and directly to a waiting table with bottles! This chica knows how to show a girl a good time!..



Rewind.. Let's talk Tenjune.. I didn't know much about the club, so of course I had to get my Google on before heading out that evening. Tenjune is located on Little West 12th Street. From what I read the club  is frequented by celebrities and performers. They have a tough door policy and some people have paid an upwards $135 to get in this spot! BANANAS! The club hones wood grain and marble, comes equipped with a tiny bar and has a dark underground feel. Small tables outline the the dance floor, with the remainder of the VIP running along the wall. The music on a Tuesday night seems more club mixed with hip hop. Everyone was dancing. This is not the type of spot where you stand along the wall. The only way you're are sitting down is if you have a table reserved. So, we got situated, had a few drinks and suddenly it got super crowed. Poor drunk girls at the table next to ours clearly hadn't reserved the table. So they surely got their drinks poured out and was told to exit left! The folks that actually reserved the table had arrived and I had to do a double take because the dude looked just liked Big Pun! I must admit one thing I actually missed about partying in NJ/NY was the mixed crowd. Everyone of all ethnicity were in Tenjune partying! On beat, off beat, whatever, but people were having a good time!!  I was happy to see my girl Mika show up, I had just met a few nights before at our Meetup event. We had a great time. Spent most of the time standing and dancing on the couch because it was just that damn crowded. Elle Varner came through and sung along to a few of her songs. She looked gorgeous and I just love her curly hair!

It was almost 2:30am and Mika and I decided to call it a night. As I'm walking to my car I realize it wasn't there! Panic set in. I hadn't had my car towed since I was like 21yrs old! First thought, "My husband is going to kill me"!! Lol! Oddly enough he was calm and was just worried about my safety :)  Thankfully Mika had just gotten in her car and I quickly called her and she came and totally saved the day! Let's just say for a woman that I only met a few nights ago, she helped me out TREMENDOUSLY.  She was such a blessing to me that night.

People have their opinions about New Yorkers and about people up North period. I'll say this, I've been meeting some great people here. I mean strangers on the streets of NYC have helped me and offered assistance.  Before a  the train took off a conductor made it a point to ask me what train I was catching and pointing me in the right direction, cause I was clearly not on the right platform! I've met young ladies at auditions that have invited me to their churches! I mean the friendliness I've experience, amongst the hustle and bustle has been incredible. It's not easy moving to a new City and navigating around it almost solely on your own. Mika moved here from the DMV almost 7yrs ago, to pursue her dream of becoming a filmmaker. I knew we had clicked the night of the Meetup event, but that Tuesday at Tenjune, she came through for me as if she'd known me for years. For that I will always be grateful!

We're heading back to meatpacking district for dinner later on this week and I plan on catching the train!!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment